Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Meeting with Elder Scott

Wow, what a wonderful meeting with Elder Scott. I don't know what I was expecting to see when he walked in, maybe glowing, floating, like the images of the apostles in the orthodox churches. I know that is not real, but I was somewhat disappointed because when I saw him the first thought that popped into my head was, "he's a lot shorter than I thought. He's just a man." But then when I went up to shake his hand and looked into his eyes, I felt the spirit confirm to me that he is a true disciple of the Lord. I thought it was interesting that later in the day, he mentioned something like, "In and of myself I am nothing, but I have been called as one of the Lord's appointed."(not a direct quote) This experience helped me to realize my own divine appointing. I sometimes do feel like I am nothing and all that I do does not matter. But it does matter. I have been called of God to be His servant and through me, He can do great things! I just need to be willing to let Him!

Here is what President Steinagel wrote us in his e-mail (quotes from Elder Scott):

What were some things that you want to remember, and to apply in your work? Here are some which I want to do:
-Throughout the course of my life, I will diligently seek to learn by what I hear, see, and feel. I will write down the important things I learn, and I will do them.
-Today’s instruction will include how to have an increase in convert baptisms who are well retained as members of the church.
-Always seek the Spirit, particularly when you are going to invite someone, such as to be baptized. Don’t go alone.
-To have faith, we must act! Follow the Spirit, even if promptings aren’t consistent with your expectations.
-How can we remember Christ in all that we do? Study His life through the scriptures, and do what He would do.
-The yardstick the Lord will use to measure our mortal life will be the personal character we’ve created.
-“I learned about accepting the Lords will more through personal trials than anything else.”

-Sister Howell
6-7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment